more perfect...
http://www.sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2007-02-26.gif (I haven't read the blog, but I think the comic's clever.)
So I was involved in this week-end conference with a bunch of evangelical Christian young adults, all fired up about social justice (yes, in this country you can be Evangelical and into justice issues). Anyway, I was all re-fired up about trade justice issues (bought my first ever fair trade pants, so HAWT!), and was further distanced from an evangelical vision of God. Plus, just really exhausted and still barely recovered. It's easy to feel like I'm doing nothing and far too much, all at the same time.
Our old hosts (they looked after the house and grounds and guests at the centre) finished their term and left for home today. I miss them already, even though the new hosts are lovely. I hate good-byes. And I love old people who are open both to learning and sharing their life in stories, that's wisdom.
Last night we had an informal farewell, and there was one moment, when everyone was piled into the lounge, laughing about something, and it struck me how this particular group of people will never all be together again on the face of this earth. And you know, in my life, those moments have happened many times, but for some reason it particularly struck me this time, how precious and ordinary that is. Some how it gave me a sense of "more perfect."
So I was involved in this week-end conference with a bunch of evangelical Christian young adults, all fired up about social justice (yes, in this country you can be Evangelical and into justice issues). Anyway, I was all re-fired up about trade justice issues (bought my first ever fair trade pants, so HAWT!), and was further distanced from an evangelical vision of God. Plus, just really exhausted and still barely recovered. It's easy to feel like I'm doing nothing and far too much, all at the same time.
Our old hosts (they looked after the house and grounds and guests at the centre) finished their term and left for home today. I miss them already, even though the new hosts are lovely. I hate good-byes. And I love old people who are open both to learning and sharing their life in stories, that's wisdom.
Last night we had an informal farewell, and there was one moment, when everyone was piled into the lounge, laughing about something, and it struck me how this particular group of people will never all be together again on the face of this earth. And you know, in my life, those moments have happened many times, but for some reason it particularly struck me this time, how precious and ordinary that is. Some how it gave me a sense of "more perfect."

4 Comments:
I really resonate with your observation of something that was precious and ordinary all at once. This is how I feel when I look at our human lives in general. When I sit in a subway car I look at the people around me and I know they all have problems, people they love, talents... Our lives are so ordinary, yet so precious. People coming together and sharing a common space and time, never to share in that way again. Yes, that's precious.
-A
For a second I thought that you had written "fair trade hot-pants". Guess not...
Adam
I love that you plugged Sinfest. I have read and loved that comic strip for years. :D
Really Lea? Hehehe so have I... it's the first thing I do in the morning ;)
I <3 Tatsuya Ishida.
If I had any disposable income I'd blow it on the comic books ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home