Friday, July 14, 2006

Pride

I heard a story the other night about being shot at in an American ghetto. My first reaction was, bizarrely, a sense of insufficiency. I've never been shot at. I've always lived in security. After reflecting a bit though, I realized it felt rather more confusing that someone could seem proud of the experience. I should be proud, and also thank God profusly every day, that I grew up in a country whose gun control laws mean there are very few pockets where one would need to fear gun violence.

That said, I feel some pressure to get my rear onto a CPT delegation already. Since it's still my first week on the job, however, I may have to continue to be patient.

I realized the other day just how "sheltered" I've been. I was walking down the street midafternoon and I saw a large, 20-something year old white man take a running leap and smash the side of a telephone booth. Someone he was with yelled at him, but other than that, people just ignored it. I was shocked and disgusted to see someone behave like that. Random violence, so not impressive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

I wonder if people who have lived lives of insecurity feel insufficient because they are not as educated, traveled, or informed as those of us who were luckier. Or do they just feel angry?

4:35 AM  
Blogger dm said...

well in this case she is also educated, travelled and informed...but yeah, good question.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've heard from many people that one's ability to trust and the tenet that the world is a basically safe place, is crystallised at a very young age. this early start then goes on to affect how you form relationships with other people and how you approach life because it forms your general assumptions about the world. this really made me think about how my parents were such good people even though at times, when i was younger I got angry at them for this or that little restriction because I have the ability to love and trust people.

on the other hand, i would think people who have lived lives of insecurity may have more suspicion and awareness of negative forces at play in life constantly weighing in in their minds. their survival would have been dependent on this mindset and so they wouldn't really find it something they resent or something that limits their happiness. this is, of course, conjecture from another rather sheltered person who left the world of NE Edmonton after junior high. t I still live next door to it and am constantly pondering what goes on and how lives are shaped.

presently however, i'm in Montreal doing the French language bursary thing. if anyone is in town, give me an email, eh?

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home