Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cordoba

Mmm...sizzling! After cooling our heels in the north, it's been a relief to be back in the sun. The big excitement today was visiting the Mesquita. The Mesquita-Catedral is now the city's official cathedral. The cathedral was built in the middle of a mosque that can hold 40,000 worshippers. The mosque was built on the site of a Visigothic church, and actually recycled many of the roman pillars from the church in its original construction. Likely that church was built over some pagan place of worship. And so the world turns.

The cathedral is a bit of a beautiful Baroque monstrosity plunked in the middle of graceful Islamic simplicity. Albeit, complex simplicity, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

We ran into two brothers from TO in our quest to find internet. I hadn't realized how much I'd been missing talking to people my age until after we parted ways.

All the newspapers I've seen lately are in Basque and Spanish. I wonder what's going on in the world?

1 Comments:

Blogger dm said...

I loved all the Gaudi stuff I saw. I especially loved that we got to check out the church when it isn't even finished. Plus it's crazy weird how old the steps you climb are when they are still building the thing...

Are you talking about the statues from the Passion?

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home