Friday, March 28, 2008

saving the world and religio-phobes

I have a friend here who works in the banking industry, and one of the reasons I find it refreshing to hang out with him is because his work and lifestyle are so different from mine. Last night he had a flatwarming party, and so I met a bunch of his work friends, who also work in this strange other world.

I'm bringing this up because two of the get-to-know-you games I played last night gave me food for thought.

With the first person when he found out I work for my church in interfaith work and peace activism, his immediate response was, "wow, so you're out saving the world while I'm stuck in investment banking." This gave me pause, as it brought back in a rush the fact that I did get into this because I wanted to change the world. I know (and have always known) that one person cannot save the world. But I think it was actually really surprising and great to be reminded of the bigger picture by this stranger, as I've lately been getting as bogged down in logistics and petty grievances as the next employee of an organisation.

The next person I was chatting with had the more typical response to the revelation of my work. He clammed up and backed off. For some reason religion scares a lot of people.

Anyway, after the fact, I wish I'd thought fast enough to tell guy number one that he can do as much to change the world in his profession as I can in mine. Because one thing I feel like I'm constantly learning is that it is actually only the ordinary decisions of individuals, exerting influence where they have influence, that make any difference at all.

As for guy number two, I'm really not sure what to do with people like that. But they're a dime a dozen, and I kind of think they are really missing out. Because religion, it's that cool.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I don't necessarily think it's religion they fear; Fear is the wrong word for this, I think. It's most likely annoyance... they've probably encountered several pushy Christians, and I mean there are a lot of them, and not as pleasant as you, Ms. D.

3:38 AM  
Blogger dm said...

I actually use the word fear really intentionally, though I certainly hear what you're saying, and I'm sure for some people there are layers.

When it comes to religious issues (whether you deal with them in a secular context or in the context of a faith tradition), you are dealing with some of our scariest stuff. Like death, and why are we here at all?

I have the impression from years of conversation that anyone who actually thinks will have the occasional voice whisper, "what if these other people are right?" Which is a challenge to one's basic world view. And when our foundational assumptions are in danger of being challenged, we get scared.

It's a two way street. A lot of religious people would be scared of engaging with a die-hard atheist.

I think that's why dialogue is so hard, because it demands at least a slight openness to the possibility that the other person isn't completely wrong.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home