Sunday, December 21, 2008

Background music for this post!

I feel like I've been saying good-bye ever since I made the decision to move home. And because I've worked and played with so many different people since I came to this fair city, it's actually kinda true. Every couple of days I see people who I wouldn't be seeing for another month or so, and as such, it's good-bye.

And it's different than my other two recent good-byes, finishing university and leaving home to come here, because this time I don't know when, or if, I'll ever be back. So for all intents and purposes it's good-bye forever. And I've left enough places to know that even for the small number of people I choose to stay in touch with, the relationships will change past recognition.

So for the moment, anyway, I've largely lost sight of my exciting new job, and am just overwhelmed with the grief of leaving. Which I suppose is its own kind of rightness. Knowing that I would have been leaving anyway in another six months helps a bit. As does knowing that another six months would have made it even harder to leave.

Random cultural observation: They really like Christmas parties here! I could have been partying like it was Friday night every night of last week, and on a few occasions, I could have done it twice over. It's freaking exhausting! The twelve days of Christmas before Christmas. I wonder why in Canada we've really embraced the idea of non-religious mid-winter festival, but here (despite being farther along the "post-Christian" road than most of English Canada) they still celebrate Christmas and send Christmas cards and eat Christmas pudding, often no matter what their religious or cultural background?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home