too long for a facebook status
I was just going to update my facebook status, but I realized it would have ended up being a paragraph, so I thought maybe I'd try a blog post instead.
I was just reading a letter from an old uni friend who is now in Afghanistan with the Canadian Armed Forces. As usual it made me think, and made me uncomfortable, though it also made me laugh. I appreciate the correspondence because it helps me to keep everyone human.
I also read some emails this morning from some friends discussing what's more important, happiness, wealth or fame. It only struck me belatedly that some how love hadn't made it into this list of top aims.
I guess it is just making me think about what it means to be human. I'm not even sure what I mean by that. Except that I think being human is very complicated, but there are moments when it also seems very simple. And sometimes it feels like sitting on a fence between murkiness and clarity. But it's always interesting, isn't it? And I guess I feel pretty lucky to have a quiet morning where I can think thoughts that have no beginning and no end and no point.
I was just reading a letter from an old uni friend who is now in Afghanistan with the Canadian Armed Forces. As usual it made me think, and made me uncomfortable, though it also made me laugh. I appreciate the correspondence because it helps me to keep everyone human.
I also read some emails this morning from some friends discussing what's more important, happiness, wealth or fame. It only struck me belatedly that some how love hadn't made it into this list of top aims.
I guess it is just making me think about what it means to be human. I'm not even sure what I mean by that. Except that I think being human is very complicated, but there are moments when it also seems very simple. And sometimes it feels like sitting on a fence between murkiness and clarity. But it's always interesting, isn't it? And I guess I feel pretty lucky to have a quiet morning where I can think thoughts that have no beginning and no end and no point.

2 Comments:
Happiness, money, and fame? Clearly your friends played Careers as children:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careers_(board_game)
everyone knows that love (in whatever form) is most important -- maybe they were trying to figure out #2
Post a Comment
<< Home