Sunday, February 03, 2008

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset

Last night for movie night we watched Before Sunrise, and then we were all so pumped about it, we immediately then watched Before Sunset. I'd seen them both before, but I'd forgotten what honestly good movies they are.

I enjoyed the first one more this time, I'm not sure why, but I was much more aware of the poetry in it. There were many beautiful and many quirky real moments. One line that jumped out at me was:

"You know, I believe if there's any kind of God, it wouldn't be in any of us. Not you, or me...but just this little space in between."

I'm sure Quakers would disagree, but in terms of what I've been thinking about for the past year and a half, in terms of what peacebuilding is all about, as well as just trying to figure out what it means to live as a good person in this complex world, it keeps coming back to relationships, which is that "little space in between."

The movies were interesting in that they chart the journey of two people who I would say start off as idealists trying to be realistic, and end up with two jaded people trying to return to an ideal. Even though the movie adds some uncomfortable grist to my mental mill in terms of questions around how love and commitment all fit together, they ultimately left me wanting to believe in something beautiful and utterly unrealistic, which is an awfully big gift.

If you haven't seen these movies, you should, and if you have, they might be worth watching again, no?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home