come undone
"Once you start to know things, it all comes undone." -Angela (from the Israel Committee Against Housing Demolition)
I'm lucky. Even though I've lead a sheltered life, I think I've been given more opportunities than many people to face up to the world's injustice. I meet people who are going through radical life transitions, where they learn things that force them to rethink entirely how they live their lives. I think I'm lucky because I know many of the ways I benefit from injustice, and by extension I know what I should be doing to at least change my small bit. That said, I'm also cursed, because it is so hard to change even my small bit, because life is dang sweet the way it is, but there's no possible way to stick my head in the sand.
Where's all this coming from? Well, even just twenty-four hours into my first CPT delegation, there's things that I've known that have become infinitely more real. But it still isn't new, and so my world has yet to come undone in the sudden, potentially life changing way, that the quote above suggests. At the same time I think I can smell the possibility of a life that's come undone, and so I'm waiting on the edge of my seat. We'll see what the rest of this delegation brings.
On another subject, Dave, I've been wondering what you would think of all this, of Israel and the West Bank, I mean, in the flesh. And it feels bizarre to me that I should be the one here.
The land itself is not like anywhere I've ever been, though under pressure I might say it's a little like the Canadian Shield and the Nevada desert, while not really being anything like either of them. When we drove to Jerusalem from the airport I had to hum, "I lift my eyes up, unto the mountains, where does my help come from? my help comes from you, maker of heaven, creator of the earth."
At Martin's pretzel factory last month I snorted at the stickers everywhere, "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem." Now as I walk down the streets I do fervantly hope that "there will be feasting and dancing in Jerusalem next year," and not just for some. And if not next year, then Insha'allah, some day soon.
And Andy, I've got the hat.
I'm lucky. Even though I've lead a sheltered life, I think I've been given more opportunities than many people to face up to the world's injustice. I meet people who are going through radical life transitions, where they learn things that force them to rethink entirely how they live their lives. I think I'm lucky because I know many of the ways I benefit from injustice, and by extension I know what I should be doing to at least change my small bit. That said, I'm also cursed, because it is so hard to change even my small bit, because life is dang sweet the way it is, but there's no possible way to stick my head in the sand.
Where's all this coming from? Well, even just twenty-four hours into my first CPT delegation, there's things that I've known that have become infinitely more real. But it still isn't new, and so my world has yet to come undone in the sudden, potentially life changing way, that the quote above suggests. At the same time I think I can smell the possibility of a life that's come undone, and so I'm waiting on the edge of my seat. We'll see what the rest of this delegation brings.
On another subject, Dave, I've been wondering what you would think of all this, of Israel and the West Bank, I mean, in the flesh. And it feels bizarre to me that I should be the one here.
The land itself is not like anywhere I've ever been, though under pressure I might say it's a little like the Canadian Shield and the Nevada desert, while not really being anything like either of them. When we drove to Jerusalem from the airport I had to hum, "I lift my eyes up, unto the mountains, where does my help come from? my help comes from you, maker of heaven, creator of the earth."
At Martin's pretzel factory last month I snorted at the stickers everywhere, "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem." Now as I walk down the streets I do fervantly hope that "there will be feasting and dancing in Jerusalem next year," and not just for some. And if not next year, then Insha'allah, some day soon.
And Andy, I've got the hat.

4 Comments:
Hi, Dora
Thanks for that heartfelt and graphic initial response. I look forward to continuing to share with you your experience.
Love, Mom
I also thank-you for your thoughts so far. I hope you are finding a wonderful sense of community with your fellow delegates. And I know you will continue to learn and change in the days ahead.
It might be silly, but that hat makes me feel really great. The next time I see you we need to get a picture of the pair of us with our hats! Looking forward to that day.
-A
Insha'allah :) I like that.
Is the hat you all are referring to the red cap? I've been reading a lot about the work that CPT does and I continue to be impressed. Keep posting!
Stay safe Dora.
.sb
Thanks for sharing, D. You're always an inspiration.
R
Post a Comment
<< Home